October is hosts to ‘Blessing of the Animals,’ one of the Bay Area’s greatest traditions and performed in the ways of St. Francis of Assisi, patron saint of animals and the environment. I am not religious but because of my personal passion in this area, I look forward to this event every year. I love watching kids line up, excited to have their beloved pets blessed with a special prayer to honor their loyal companions who love us unconditionally. It's a very special experience and there are many places across Marin to line up and have your pet blessed:
Sunday, October 1
- St. Stephen’s Church, 3 Bay View Avenue, Belvedere
- Church of Our Saviour, 10 Old Mill St, Mill Valley
- Good Shepherd Lutheran Church, 2-4pm, 1180 Lynwood Drive, Novato
- St. John’s Episcopal Church, 14 Lagunitas Avenue, Ross
- The Feast of St. Francis and Blessing of the Animals, Grace Cathedral, San Francisco
- St. Francis Winery & Vineyards, Santa Rosa
Tuesday, October 4
- Our Lady of Mount Carmel, 5:30pm, Greenwood School Parking Lot, 17 Buena Vista Avenue, Mill Valley.
Sunday, October 8
- Marin Lutheran Church, 649 Meadowsweet Drive, Corte Madera
- Mount Tam United Methodist Church, 11:30am, 410 Sycamore Ave, Mill Valley
- Feast of St. Francis and Blessing of the Beasts, St. James Episcopal Church, San Francisco
Here are some pawsatively fun family and pet friendly events worth a mention:
- DOGtoberfest, October 2, 5:30-9pm, This is a family event and fundraiser, with door prizes, raffles, silent auction and gifts for the children, The Lagunitas Brewing Company, Petaluma.
- Halloween Hoopla, October 28, 11am-3pm, all costumed pets are invited to join the Woodlands Pet Food & Treats annual pet costume parade at 1pm, Bon Air, Greenbrae.
- Woodland Pet Food Halloween DOGtoberfest & Costume Contest, October 28, 3-6, free pet photos, pet sketch artist, pet psychic, animal rescue organizations and adoptions + more! Plus, there will be a Howl’oween Pet Costume Contest as well as free Center-wide trick or treating for kids and their families, Strawberry Village, Mill Valley.
- Pup Parade, October 29, 9am, Marin County Mart, Larkspur
- Howl’O’Ween Dog Costume Contest, 6:30pm on October 31, Sausalito
- Tilden's Train Kids and Dogs, Tilden Regional Park in Berkeley
If you know any other family and pet events in the Bay Area, please let us know.