When you are done watching the Official Santa NORAD Tracker and opening presents you will still find plenty of fun things to do on Christmas Day. Here are my top 12 picks for Christmas Day, Thursday, December 25th.
1. Waterfall Hike, with all the rain we've been having, the waterfalls are at their very best.
2. Christmas Houses light up after 6pm, including the famous Rombeiro's Christmas House in Novato which invites guests stroll inside and the Weaver's Winter Wonderland, winners of this years Light Fight.
3. Ice Skating, Marin on Ice, Union Square, Embarcadero, Yerba Buena, and Alameda are all open.
4. Muir Woods is open for all to stroll through towering redwoods, enjoy the natural beauty, and breathe in the clean fresh air. This precious space is enchanting anytime of the year.
5. Contemporary Jewish Museum, 11am-4pm, is open and it's a Free Day on Christmas, a fun-for-all extravaganza, explore the galleries, create art, delicious food and move and groove to live music! Don't miss the fantastic kid friendly exhibit, J.otto Siebold And His Mr. Lunch Series.
6. San Francisco Botanical Gardens, 7:30am-5pm, escape to a unique, 55-acre urban oasis of extraordinary beauty within Golden Gate Park.
7. Japanese Tea Gardens, 9am-4:45pm, sip some tea and stroll the beautiful Japanese-style gardens also in the heart of Golden Gate Park. While you are there try to find the elusive Fairy Doors nearby.
8. San Francisco Zoo, 10am-4pm, for a real wildlife adventure on Christmas Day.
10. See a movie. A number of movie theaters are open on Christmas Day with kids friendly flicks. Check listings at a theater near you.
11. Become a San Francisco tourist. Walk across the Golden Gate Bridge, hike at Land's End, grab a bit to eat at Fisherman's Wharf and Chinatown and ride the cable cars. Tour 49 Mile Drive and reacquaint yourself with one of the most amazing cities in the world.
12. Take a Hike. Not only is nature open on Christmas Day but every day.
Wishing you all a very Merry Christmas!