Azalea picnic area at Samuel P. Taylor State Park, 8889 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, Lagunitas
Join us for a morning of learning and helping at one of our favorite local parks. We will be offering several walks suitable for families with kids along local trails and Lagunitas Creek with local naturalists to learn more about the native flora and fauna that live in this park. To help preserve the integrity of the Park’s plant communities, help us remove a variety of invasive weeds that are pushing out our favorite native wildflowers. We are partnering with a number of other conservation organizations and there will be a chance to talk with staff and peruse educational displays to learn more about invasive plants, native wildflowers, and the different creatures that make their home in the park. We’ll wrap up around noon to have lunch, socialize and partake of some special treats. Stop by anytime to say hello, join in the activities, and learn more about the following organizations, other on-going projects around the county, and how you can help preserve the natural beauty of Marin County.
Marin Chapter of the CA Native Plant Society is your host
- Paul da Silva of Marin CNPS will lead a catch-and-release walk to learn about insects and explain why there are no bad bugs
- Rob Katz of Marin CNPS will head up a nature walk for plant enthusiasts
- Nancy Hanson will lead the “Zen of Weeding” project to remove invasive plants
- Preston Brown, biologist from SPAWN, will discuss the steps they are taking to protect salmon in Lagunitas Creek
- Julie Hanft of Marin GreenPlay Camps will be heading up the children’s nature and craft activities all morning
All ages are welcome. All events are free but there is an $8 parking fee.
Wear comfortable clothes you don’t mind getting wet and/or dirty. Sturdy walking shoes preferred, no sandals. Bring hat, sunscreen, camera, bug spray, field guides and binoculars and gloves for weeding. Bring lunch and water bottles, we will provide snacks and treats
Event leader will supply: Snacks, water and other drinks, treats; gloves for weeding.
No preregistration require
Heavy rain cancels
Directions: The Park is at 8889 Sir Francis Drake Blvd, about 15 miles west of the Sir Francis Drake exit on Hwy 101. The Azalea picnic area is near the main entrance: We’ll be close to the creek! Look for our signs.