Bay Area Cabaret is thrilled to present its fifth Bay Area Teen Idol singing competition, showcasing talented high school students from throughout the Bay Area. Cash and performance prizes will be awarded to the top finalists, and all finalists will get the opportunity to sing at the famed Venetian Room in the Fairmont San Francisco on Sunday, April 28, 2019 in front of an audience of peers, parents, teachers and celebrity judges (our judges have included artists like American Idol's Musical Director Michael Orland, record producer Narada Michael Walden and Mary Wilson of The Supremes.
The Venetian Room was one of the premier showrooms in the country, where musical legends like Ella Fitzgerald, Tina Turner, Tony Bennett, Nat King Cole and The Supremes performed on a regular basis. Dark as a music venue for over 20 years, the Venetian Room is now home to Bay Area Cabaret's Broadway, jazz and pop series (featuring artists like Carmen Cusack, Leslie Odom, Jr., John Pizzarelli, Will Roland and Matthew Morrison). Now you have the chance to sing on the same stage as these and many other musical legends.
PLEASE CAREFULLY READ THE INSTRUCTIONS BELOW:
* Auditions will be held on Sunday - January 26, 2019 - 10 AM - 5 PM at the San Francisco Conservatory Of Music. Only those who have pre-registered may audition - no walk-ins.
* Candidates may choose an audition time from those available at the time of registration. Please arrive promptly, and plan to arrive 10 minutes ahead of your slot to allow for check-in.
* You must be currently enrolled in a high school or home school in San Francisco, San Mateo, Marin, Sonoma, Napa, Solano, Contra Costa, Alameda, San Mateo or Santa Clara counties.
* Each applicant must bring to their audition a non-refundable application fee of $20 - cash or check (made out to Bay Area Cabaret), a residence ID and proof of age (student ID, drivers license, etc.).
* Candidates must prepare 2 songs (one a ballad, and the other uptempo) of no longer than 3 minutes each from Broadway, jazz, pop or acoustic rock repertoire.
* Songs with indecent or explicit lyrics will not be accepted.
* All candidates will sing with live piano accompaniment or may accompany themselves with an acoustic instrument that they can easily carry on and off stage by themselves, or sing a cappella.
* Please bring sheet music in the correct key.
* Candidates chosen as finalists will perform one of their audition songs at the Venetian Room on April 28, 2019 (please mark the date in your calendar).
You will be judged on:
* Music selection
* Vocal ability
* Stage presence
* Your ability to connect with the audience