Mark your calendar for this years Stern Grove Festival of admission-free concerts every Sunday at 2:00 p.m. from June 17 through August 19 at Sigmund Stern Grove, located at 19th Avenue and Sloat Boulevard in San Francisco. The 81st Season Line-Up showcases an eclectic roster of popular performers from the Bay Area and beyond.
This Summer’s 10-week Concert Series
- June 17, Jeffrey Osborne and Peabo Bryson
- June 24, Reggae, Ziggy Marley and Flavia Coelho
- July 1, M. Ward and Thao & The Get Down Stay Down
- July 8, Mexican Institute of Sound with Special Guests and Ginkgoa
- July 15, Anoushka Shankar and Han Ha
- July 22, San Francisco Symphony, Jayce Ogren Conductor
- July 29, San Francisco Ballet with the Helgi Tomasson, Artistic Director
- August 5, Femi Kuti and the Positive Force and Sol Development
- August 12, Ronnie Spector and the Ronettes and The Humidors
- August 19, The Revolution and Big Blu Soul Revue
6 Things To Know Before You Go
1. Arrive early! Parking can be a challenge. Take public transportation if possible. Free bike valet. Get there early and you should be able to find a good viewing spot. Seating is first come, first served.
2. Pack your picnic and bring a blanket big enough to fit your company. If you bring chairs, make sure they have a low back so you are not blocking the people behind you. You may not end up in an area that is flat so keep that in mind when you drag your chairs back and forth.
3. Dress in layers. Weather change quickly in San Francisco. And leave the pumps at home - Stern Grove is a lovely grassy field and you may need to sit on the hill.
4. Pack a picnic (beer and wine is allowed.) Don't forget sunscreen and water. Food vendors are available but it's cash only.
5. Sorry, not pets.
6. Donate to keep this amazing event go! Buckets will be sent around at this FREE concert.
Got Kids! Here are ideas to occupy the kids until the concert starts.
- There are plenty of Geocaches in Stern Grove.
- UrbiaKids Book #4 is a fun treasure hunt that lets you explore the valley where Stern Grove and Pine Lake are nestled.
- From 11:30 a.m.- 1:00 p.m. before every Sunday concert (excluding The Big Picnic on June 14), kids of all ages are invited to participate in hands-on arts projects exploring "The Art of Nature" at KidStage in the West Meadow. Each week at KidStage, teaching artists will lead a workshop on making art with nature, an instrument exploration station, and a dance workshop. See website for details.
- Join in informative pre-concert Artist Talks with featured Festival artists at the Grove’s Trocadero Clubhouse at 12pm.
Stern Grove Educational Programs
Stern Grove Festival’s admission-free education and outreach programs provide enriching opportunities for thousands of Bay Area children and adults each year. Participants not only enhance their understanding of different art forms and cultures, but create a personal connection to the arts. Parents can participate too! Stern Grove Festival’s education and outreach programs include:
- Kids Day is a free series of fun and interactive arts education programs for children ages 4-13. The workshops are held from 11:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. Pre-registration is required.
- Kids Camp is a three-day arts education workshop series for kids in grades 3 to 8. Each Kids Camp will explore Stern Grove through visual art, music, and movement, resulting in the creation of original works by participants.
The Stern Grove Festival Association is a non-profit arts presenting organization committed to providing the people of the Bay Area with admission-free access to diverse, outstanding performing arts. Every year since 1938, the organization presents admission-free, outdoor concerts at Stern Grove Festival. A San Francisco tradition, music and nature lovers gather at The Festival to enjoy music, picnicking, and relaxation in a serene meadow surrounded by giant eucalyptus, redwood, and fir trees.